Basic Reporting

If you, a friend, or loved one have experienced an assault, bias motivated incidents, crime, harassment, intimate partner abuse, sexual assault or stalking, the survivor has rights and options. Below is some basic reporting information. OVA recognizes that making the choice to report should be the choice of the survivor and OVA will support survivors of trauma in whatever decision they decide is best for them. It is common to have questions about reporting processes. OVA can discuss reporting options and what to expect in a process to assist the survivor in making an informed  decision that they decide is best for them. In addition to offering counseling,  if the survivor decides to report OVA can be an advocate throughout the process. Contact OVA to learn more about advocacy services. 

Reporting Options:

Reporting to the University of Colorado Boulder

If the person who harmed you is or was a student at the time of the incident they could be sanctioned under the Student Code of Conduct or Discrimination and Harassment policy. Title IX ( Sexual assault, stalking, intimate partner abuse) , discrimination, harassment, and sexual harassment cases are investigated by investigators in the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance (OIEC). All other cases are investigated through the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution (OSC). In cases in which there is a responsible finding of a policy violation there will be sanctions through the university.  The survivor can have an advocate from the Office of Victim Assistance or another accompanying support person during meetings with OIEC or OSC.  While you are not required to have a lawyer, some participants do choose to have a lawyer involved, especially if there is another (criminal or civil) process involved.  OVA advocates can talk with you about your options and what to expect in the reporting process.

For information on filing guidelines please go to : 303-492-2127

If the person who harmed you was a staff or faculty member at the time of the incident, the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance, formally the Office of Discrimination and Harassment, (303-492-2127)  can investigate under the Discrimination and Sexual Harassment policy. Employee relations (303-492-0956) can inform you of the variety of system wide policies and job related standards that may apply to your situation.  If, after an investigation, the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance or Employee Relations find that a violation of policy has occurred, they will pass on the finding to the supervisor, who will decide on a sanction.  Informal processes may be recommended if the behavior does not reach the level of a policy violation.

For more information on filing guidelines please go to : 303-492-2127

Reporting to the police:

What happened to you might be a crime.  Reporting to the police would begin by calling 911 or calling the police department where the crime was committed. The first step will include talking to a police officer. Depending on what you are reporting the case may then be assigned to a detective for further interviews and investigation.  If there is enough evidence that a crime has been committed, the District Attorney’s office takes the case on your behalf and the district attorney will press charges.  You can have an advocate, and there are certain standards (Victims Rights) about how you are to be informed and included in this process.  Consult the police in your jurisdiction or the Office of Victim Assistance for more information.  Boulder County DA (303-441-3700) and CU police department (303-492-6666).

Civil Law:

Much of the policy that governs behavior inside the university derives from various Federal and State laws and so you may decide to seek recourse against an individual or organization under those laws. In the case of Federal law, the Department of Education ( the Office for Civil Rights ( and the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission ( are among the Federal agencies responsible for enforcing these laws.

In bringing a civil case, you will  need your own lawyer with expertise in that area of law.

Confidential Reporting: 

Click here to make a confidential report to the Office of Victim Assistance (OVA). This report will only be seen by a confidential advocate counselor at OVA. If you would  like an OVA advocate counselor to contact you  please  include your contact information. This report does notify the university and no investigative action will be taken.  


There are other entities active on and around campus that have their own standards of behavior and sanctioning processes, like ROTC, and fraternities or sororities.  The Office of Victim Assistance can assist you in assessing and interacting with these systems as well.

Frequently asked questions: 

I want to report, what do I do now? Contact OVA if you would like an OVA advocate to be present with you for the reporting process. If you want to make a report without the involvement of OVA, you can contact the Office of Institutional Equity and Compliance, the Office of Student Conduct and Conflict Resolution, or the police department directly. If you are unsure which office to contact to make a report to, contact OVA for assistance. 

I am unsure if I want to report, what should I do now? It is common for people to be unsure if they want to report after experiencing a traumatic incident. Contact OVA for a confidential place to talk, ask questions, get information, and explore options. OVA will support you in whatever you decide is the best decision for you. 

I do not want to report, what are my options? Regardless if you decide to report or not you have rights and options. Please contact OVA to discuss advocacy services which can include academics, employment, housing, and other forms of advocacy including safety planning.